Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I THINK I CAN - I KNOW I SHOULD - 4/20/1997

I walked behind 4 carpenters
1 mason; 1 roofer - this tired troop
from Arizona
work - very little
out of money
I had to feed this
group
I thought about the earth-preserve
saving our planet
whales
birds and horses
Special-interest funding; government grants
..other studies
and college courses
If I feed a starving stranger
could that person one day succeed
and be a
forest ranger
Would it take just a caring heart
a few dollars
and a fresh
new start
Heart-to-heart; ashes-to-ashes
dust-covered-dust
$10 for gas - take a bus,
or go bust
Ears hear better as you walk behind
hearing the needs of human-kind
in a bind
relative, my dear
ears truly deaf
cannot hear
Walking with no legs
would be an acrobatic stunt
finding nonsense tax-sheltered 'puppies'
I'd call them simply 'glorified runts'
Given this blessing to be this near
fortunate to hear the command so
clear
No one begged; I freely 'gave'
no contingencies - or
'how to behave'...
I gave all I had; didn't feel bad
but realized I had no food, you see...
then upon returning to my waiting car
there was a 'note' waiting for me...
There was a flyer - on my wind-shield
..power in that coupon; what did I wield?
A coupon for a 'dog' - free, and what's more...
A large 'soda-pop'...
...I called it a 'score'!