Friday, March 21, 2008

FOR MY MOTHER, HER TWIN - AND HER COUSIN; MOM BEAT CANCER 1/20/08


Center text
Refinement
Alignment
Not of stars
Or a chest of service bars
For serving in a foreign
War
Nor a score
3 or more
And four score and many years ago
The poet
Had to write
Quite slow
With penmanship
A pen would skip
The ink
Could blot
And leak a lot
Upon a parchment page
And the 'sage'
Might lament
The loss of inspirational
Intent
Meant for those who'd read
And, indeed,
Identify
As did I
While lying in my queen-sized bed
Wondering what was
Going on
Inside my head
Not a queen - but something seen
In my memory's eye
I could spy
This photo of 3 girls
Bobbing heads of golden curls
One now lies with head so bare
Golden curls have gone somewhere
Silver has replaced the gold
Mother said her head
Is 'cold'
Treatments given for her cancer
Hoping for recovery...
Her 'answer'
Back after so many years
See in her eyes
Her joys; some fears
Shorty - her twin
Tiny; petite
...the sunlight
In
All their smiles
...it beguiles
Me to write of
What I see in
Three....
Solid; strong - Mary Isabel
Stands near my mother
And her sister
...she's swell...
M.I.H. Is so strong
And in this trinity, she does
Belong
As the sturdy root
Holds up a tree...
Mary is the strong-hold
Of that trinity
Marian - so sweet
Marie - casual and free
...I guess that's why they nick-named
Her
'Breezy'
Breezy - the wind;
Marian - tiny and short
Mary Isabel their strong-hold
Mary Isabel
...the fort...
All who see this photograph that I see,
Can see this power
Of
Marian
Mary Isabel, and the
Completed trinity
When you
Add
Marie
See beyond the barren head
See their spirit...
...never dead
Feel their joy that keeps them free...
Marian
Mary Isabel
And my mother called
Marie.

Love to all 3

Diane