Friday, March 21, 2008

I WROTE THIS POEM FOR 'DANCES WITH FORKS' - MY BUDDY! DIANE STIRLING

OLD-FASHIONED GOODIES IN A MODERN WAY
For Dances with Forks - inspired by her words
(c) Diane Stirling - March 1, 2008


Sometimes we're hindered - we have so many words
We'd like to say
But those we'd like to share them with
Live so many miles away

Long ago, many lived next door to mom
A few miles from grandma - and to our
Home, they'd often come

A basket of 'goodies' - bread; a pint of cream
Old bossy had given up her gift of milk;
.while that coffee pot would perk
.and we all would dream

Dream - aloud - share our joys
Talk about the girls all growing up
.and the naughtiness of our thriving boys


Then a recipe we'd tried; each would write it down -
.maybe one would drive that pick-up; rattling
.loudly as we drove to town

A quick hello to the postal carrier; a wave
.to the man who ran the hardware store
.but now it's the I-net; a computer - a 'flight' of letters
.'sent quickly through at 12:34

They tell me it's called 'packet-switching'
A technology so bewitching
How nice to send our gifts of love
(and no one sees how my skivvies are itching).

I don't have to comb my hair; don't even have to
.wear my shoes
I can do my laundry; watch my soup
....still share my heart
- and the latest news!